Ahad, 16 Oktober 2011

Manchester Here I Come: Chaos at KLIA

Hi peeps!

It's been quite a while since my last entry.. Wow where do i even begin hmm.. Suddenly I realised that from now on, probably my entries will revolve around my studying life.. I should probably change my blog name to something else.. Any suggestions? hehe

I'm here in the UK now. Inductions are over and classes have started. But before that, i would probably want to go a little bit back in time to the departure at the airport. JPA kasi setahun nak prepare but I had everything done at the 11th hour :P Masa tu la nak packing, unpack & re-pack. I've traveled abroad but not for this long so i've never packed for a 'long-duration' stay. I'm flying with Malaysia Airlines with a Business Class seat but it seems that the travel agent only managed to get me an economy upgrade. So even though it was a business class seat, I only had 20 kg of luggage and I had 45 kilo worth of stuff to bring! Later i found out one of the lads actually got an upgrade to First Class seat (also traveling to UK but at an earlier date). Tak aci!

At the check-in counter, the ground crew politely told me that i've way exceeded the limit and that she could help increase the limit up to 40 kg. But every extra kilo will cost me RM178 per kilo! Betul ke ni? Did i hear her correctly? And that is only until Heathrow. From Heathrow to Manchester, I shall board the British Airways and according to the her, that'll be different charges for excess baggage and they have a strict policy that I can only bring one luggage.  Adoyai.. Panic moment skejap..
Apa yg banyak sgt barang yek.. Despite having advised by my peers, checklists of stuff to bring from MABECS and pre-departure briefings from the British Council and the University, I cannot help but went on and bought winter jacket in KL as it was on sale. Excited ma.. Seriously tak perlu la.. buat penuh beg je.. It is better to just buy it here with the latest design ;-) Apart from that, I also packed notebooks which I got for free during my visits to technology seminars (konon nak jimat coz they said stationery is expensive here), a pot which I got from lucky draw, small rice cooker, sleeping bag, clothes hanger, rempah kari Alagappa and other unnecessary things LOL. Eventually I ended up abandoning one bag (sigh..)
Sepatutnya proceed je with 40 kg of baggage at KLIA with no extra charge. Takde isu extra baggage dah sebab dah lepas masuk kargo pun. Bukannya kena check out beg kat Heathrow.. Marah le ni. At Heathrow Airport, i checked in my hand luggage as it was quite heavy. Which means i could have brought all my 45 kilos of stuff. Furthermore, after getting our bags and seeing that my friend had two luggages with him rasa bagai tabur garam di luka.. AT KLIA, he checked in at a different counter and had different advice. Katanya hand luggage yg boleh bawak satu je... Tapi tengok ada je budak lain bawak sampai 3 hand luggage. Hmmpfgh.. Tu la takde pengalaman la benda2 ni...  Arrggh.. tension skejap. Sabar je la..

So next time, be more prepared than me - check that Malaysia Airlines have Enrich Miles for students where you can get extra 10 kilos if i'm not mistaken for just RM30. I knew this beforehand but didn't think I needed it at that time. Ingatkan dapat business class dah hebak leh bawak byk barang haha.. Also check whether you need to transfer your luggage in between flights. If you travel with other airlines (i'm not sure which one but i know others are travelling with Emirates or Etihad etc) they offer up to 40 kilos. Also weigh your luggage first at home :P beli la ada gejet utk tujuan ni.. Kalau nak bawak brg kering atau rempah ratus tu boleh pack dulu kat mesia and have somebody ship it to you since tak urgent sangat kan.. it's cheaper to send by ship rather than by air. Klu ada barang yg nak kena pos, guna pos biasa pun dah ok dalam less than 2 weeks leh sampai. Klu guna Pos Laju mahal jugak.

That's all for now.. This is me with my friend Lin who witnessed my chaotic moment at the airport haha..

Till next time.. Cheers ;-)

Rabu, 3 Ogos 2011

Salam Ramadan


Selamat menyambut Ramadan & Selamat berpuasa kengkawan :-)

ps: Kudos for the creators of these lovely images ;-)

Education Expo 2011

Hi all!

You might like to check out some upcoming events or share with us any other university/education expo/fairs.

  1. AUG 2011 StudyFest: http://www.augstudy.com/studyfest/my/index.html#overview

2. Postgraduate Education Fair (16 - 18 September 2011): Mid Valley Exhibition Hall

Rabu, 20 Julai 2011

Pre-Departure Notes

Next month i'm attending 2 pre-departure briefings for students going to the UK. One is organized by the British Council and the other is organized by the university itself. It is a good idea to attend these briefings as you get good advice from the representatives as well as the opportunity to ask all your burning questions on what to expect and what to prepare before going. Furthermore you get to know other Malaysians who are going there too & expand your network of friends :-) Below is some guidelines from MABECS. Looking at the check list so far, preparation-wise alhamdulilah i think i'm on the right track :D

Pre-Departure Check list
  • Have you met all conditions of your university offer?
  • Have you applied for Accommodation?
  • Has the university issued you with a CAS number?
  • Have you checked that all details in your CAS statement are correct?
  • Have you got all your original education certificates (which were indicated in your CAS as having been used to assess your university application and which need to be submitted with your visa application)?
  • Have you met the tuition fee and maintenance fund requirements for your visa application?
  • Have you made your visa application?
  • Have you made your flight bookings?
  • (If you are going through a travel agent, ask if they can also issue you with an ISIC-International Student Identity Card, which may provide discounts when traveling in different countries.)
  • Have you received confirmation from the university about your accommodation?
  • Have you received information from the university on registration procedures, pre-departure briefings, welcome and orientation programmes, meet and greet services ,etc and have you read this and responded, if action is required?
  • Have you obtained your chest x-ray and medical report?

Note: Students do not need a chest x-ray and medical report when applying for their visa in Malaysia. However it is a good idea to voluntarily obtain a chest x-ray and general medical report before you leave for the UK and carry this with you in your hand luggage when you travel to the UK.
Sometimes, at random, you may be asked to produce this when you arrive in the UK. For most students there are no specifications as to the kind of medical report to do- so you can decide and advise your doctor here in Malaysia, as to the tests/checks you wish to do.
It’s also advisable to get appropriate vaccinations/inoculations before you leave for the UK (if you haven’t had these vaccinations already), for example, for measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, polio, tuberculosis and to take your immunization records with you.
It is also advisable to have the meningitis C or meningitis A+C vaccination before you leave for the UK. If you are unable to arrange for this before you leave for the UK, you can ask for this when you register with a doctor in the UK (please refer to the section in these notes titled Important Things to Do When You Arrive in the UK).
For some students, for example students pursuing medicine, dentistry, etc, your medical/dental school may have certain specifications with regard the kind of medical tests and/or vaccinations you need to take (for e,g, Hepatitis B immunization). In such cases, please follow guidelines given by your department.

Important Things To Take with you to the UK

  • Valid passport (with UK student visa) (It would be useful to make a few photocopies of your passport and student visa)
  • Original education certificates
  • Details of your university and accommodation offer
  • Flight tickets and details of any bookings you have made for coach collection services, trains journeys, orientation programme, etc.
  • Evidence to prove you have sufficient funds to pay your course fees and maintain yourself (and any dependents if applicable). For example, bank drafts, letter from bank, recent bank statements, letter from sponsor, etc.
  • Credit cards, travellers cheques, some cash (do not carry large amounts of cash)
  • Any prescription medication that you are taking
  • Chest x-ray and medical report

Carry all these documents with you in your hand luggage (not checked in baggage) to keep them safe and allow you to have easy access to them when travelling and on arrival at the UK airport. You will be asked to produce some of the documents indicated above at the Immigration section, of a UK airport. You will clear Immigration first, before you collect your baggage.


Students in the UK tend to live in a pair of jeans, teeshirt, sweatshirt and trainers. This is “standard” student wear. Sport socks are nice and thick and would be ideal to take to the UK. Winter clothing, gloves and scarves are often cheaper to buy in the UK than they are in Malaysia. Make sure you take some warm clothing with you initially.Formal wear may be required for presentations or dinners. Do also take your traditional costume/dress, as there will be occasions for you to wear this while at university.

It is unlikely you will do any shopping immediately when you arrive in the UK. Take a toothbrush, and small quantities of toothpaste, soap and shampoo to freshen up (please note however that there are security restrictions with regard the amount of liquid you can carry in your hand luggage, when you board an aircraft).

Important Things to Do When You Arrive in the UK

*Call/Text Home to let your family know you have arrived safely
To call Malaysia from the UK, the code is (for example):
00 603 79567655 (if calling a land line)
006012 xxxxxxx (if calling a mobile number)

* Complete any remaining registration formalities and attend any orientation/welcome events organised by the university and/or department    

It’s important to complete any remaining registration formalities so that you are officially registered with the university- failure to register within the stipulated time may mean that the university has to report your absence to the UK Border Agency.

Orientation and Welcome activities provide you with an introduction to the university, the city, the department, as well as members of staff and other students. They also provide important information and support to help you settle down.

*Register with a Doctor

Health care consultation and hospitalisation is free for students who are enrolled onto courses for longer than six months, under the UK National Health Service (NHS). You may have to pay a standard fee for any prescribed medication. You will need to register with a doctor, soon after you arrive, to be covered under the NHS. The university will be able provide you with a list of doctors in the area. Alternatively you will be able to search for one at

Some clinics/surgeries may already have too many patients and may not be able to take on any more. If you are unable to register with a particular clinic/surgery, ask them to recommend another clinic nearby or try another clinic on the list.
The charges for optical and dental treatment under the UK National Health Service can be quite high compared to costs in Malaysia, so try and visit the dentist or optician before you leave for the UK and when you are back home on holiday.

When you have time you might like to take advantage of your student status and travel cheaply in Europe, but then UK healthcare would not cover your travels and you should take out holiday travel insurance and also insurance to cover your possessions.

*Open a Bank Account

The university will be able to provide you with information on suitable banks and the services that each offers and the documents that will be required to open a bank account. This information is also covered during the orientation programme, etc.
It is quite likely that one of the big nationwide banks will have facilities on the university campus. It may take a few days (sometimes a few weeks) for your bank draft to clear. Your credit cards, travellers cheques and/or some cash should tide you over this period.

Alternatively you could consider opening an account in an international bank in Malaysia and this may allow you to then make arrangements to open a bank account in the UK (for e.g. HSCB Premier Account).

When opening a bank account in the UK, certain documents may be required from you. This varies from bank to bank but examples of documents that you may need to have at hand, when opening a bank account, include valid passport and student visa, document confirming your address in the UK (for e.g. your accommodation/tenancy agreement), document confirming your address in Malaysia (for e.g. any letter from the university, sent to your address in Malaysia), etc

The experience of opening a student bank account in the UK does vary and sometimes it can be quite time consuming- having to stand in queues and having to make more than one visit, in order for all the formalities to be completed. Every university provides a welcome guide to international students, often available on the university web site. Try and do some advance research based on the information there, with regard the various bank accounts available, procedures for opening a bank account, etc.

*Use the Support Services at the University

It is normal to feel homesick and miss your family and friends. Some students may also experience “culture shock” as you are faced with an environment and culture that’s different to what you’re used to. Keep an open mind, give yourself time and you will slowly find yourself settling down and starting to enjoy life as a university student in the UK- many students look back at these years, as the best years of their life!

All universities in the UK, will have support services to assist you with any matter- academic, accommodation, immigration, health, personal issues, religious matters, etc. Don’t hesitate to reach out and ask for help, information and support. All matters will be dealt with in confidence.

*Attend Lectures

Your university has reporting and record-keeping duties and needs to inform the UK Border Agency (UKBA) if for example, you do not register on time, miss lectures without permission, etc. Please attend lectures.

*Have Fun!

Study very hard but have fun too! Take the opportunity to make friends from all over the world, travel in the UK and Europe during your holidays, join clubs and societies and make the most of your time at university!

Useful Contacts in Malaysia

British Council: Tel: 03-27237900/www.educationuk.org.my

MABECS: 03-79567655/439/www.mabecs.com

Travel Agents:

STA: Tel: 03-21489800/www.statravel.com.my

MSL: Tel: 03-40424722/www.msltravel.com

UK Visa Application Centre: Tel: 03-21649323/www.vfs-uk-my.com

Wisma Putra/Minsitry of Foreign Affairs: Tel: 03-8874000


(Some students, for example those pursuing courses where they may have dealings with the UK general public, for e.g. like medicine, social work, etc may be informed by their UK university department, to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct- this can be obtained from Wisma Putra)

Useful Contacts in the UK

London Heathrow Airport: http://www.heathrowairport.com/

Transport for London (London Underground): http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Manchester Airport: http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/

Malaysian Students Department for UK&Eire:


National Rail (Trains): http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

UK Border Agency: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

source: MABECS 4th July 2011

Isnin, 18 Julai 2011

International Student Checklist

Berikut dilampirkan senarai semak persiapan nak sambung blaja sebagai panduan/rujukan :D

Preparing to come
·         Satisfy conditions of offer                                                                           
·         Obtain visa                                                                                                         
·         Apply for accommodation                                                                           
·         Book place on Airport Collection Service                     
·         Book place on Orientation Course                                                           
·         Have a medical examination and vaccinations: MMR
(Mumps, Measles and Rubella) and Meningitis C (if applicable) 

Before you leave
·         Book transport to university                                                                      
·         Buy currency                                                                                                     
·         Decide how to pay your tuition fees                                                       
·         Decide how to pay your accommodation fees                                   
·         Make accommodation prepayment                                                       
·         Pack your luggage appropriately                                                              
·         Register electronics on www.mobilise.com                                         

When you arrive
·         Tell your family you have arrived                                                                             
·         Register with the police (if applicable)                                                   
·         Register at the University                                                                            
·         Arrange payment of tuition fees                                                              
·         Arrange payment of accommodation fees                                          
·         Open a bank account
·         Register with a doctor
·         Buy a Television Licence (if applicable)
source: "Arrival Guide: For International and EU Students 2011-2012"

Useful Links

I'm just going to post some useful links that i have bookmarked on my favourite folders which might be helpful. As you can see I've managed to list a few thus you are very much welcomed to help me update this from time to time :-)




Sabtu, 16 Julai 2011

Panduan Permohonan Visa UK

Alhamdulilah selesai buat permohonan visa - the most crucial part of the whole preparation process. I suggest take time to read the Guidance Policy carefully before submitting the forms. Kekadang di saat akhir masa tu la ada perubahan polisi, pengemaskinian borang baru dan sebagainya. So always look out for the new updates to make sure you get the latest news & not make the mistake of using the old forms or applying for the wrong category etc.

This year the fees is RM1301. Boleh claim. Tapi kalau kita salah isi dan permohonan ditolak, naya kena apply all over again. Dah  buang masa, duit & tenaga kat situ. Quite nerve-wrecking experience sebab risaukan approval. Tapi insyaAllah kalau semua dokumen lengkap & teratur boleh dapat after 2 working days. Efisyen gak derang proses. Berikut dilampirkan rumusan panduan oleh MABECS.

Visa Guidelines- UK General Student Visa (Tier 4) Points Based System

Note: The following guidelines refer to the category of general student (adult student): for post-16 education.
(There is a separate visa category for child student, for children between 4 and 17 years old).
Note: The following information has been prepared by MABECS for guidance purposes only and subject to change. You must check with the relevant authorities/web sites for the latest information, in particular:

UK Visa Application Centre in Malaysia: www.vfs-uk-my.com
UK Border Agency (UKBA): www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

The Official Tier 4 policy guidance notes can be obtained from the following web site:

Please note the information here is subject to change. Please check the web site of the UK Visa Application Centre in Malaysia and the UKBA web site, for latest information and updated visa checklists, forms, etc.

1) How many points do I need to qualify for a UK Student Visa?
40 Points
  • 30 points obtained from having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies(CAS) from a Tier 4 sponsor
  • 10 points obtained if you can show that you have enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)
2) What is a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)?

The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) is not an actual certificate or paper document but is a virtual document similar to a database record. Each Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies has a unique reference number and contains information about the course of study for which it has been issued and the student’s personal details.

The Tier 4 sponsor (i.e. University) will also need to provide the student with some of the information they used when they assigned the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, for example course details, documentsthe Tier 4 sponsor has used to assess the student and fees due for the appropriate period of study. The student will need this information to accurately complete his/her application and to make sure that he/she knows which documents to send when he/she applies.

A student cannot make his/her Tier 4 application more than three months before the start of his/her course and the Tier 4 (General) student will be able to come to the UK only up to one month before the start date of the course (for courses that are six months or longer, or for a presessional course that is less than six months).

When is a Confirmation of Acceptance for studies valid?

-has the same details on it as in the student’s passport; and
-was assigned no more than six months before the date of application; and
- has not been withdrawn or cancelled by the Tier 4 sponsor or the UKBA

A Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies cannot be used more than once. If a student’s Tier 4 application is refused, and he/she wishes to make another application, he/she will need to get a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from his/her sponsor.

Claiming Points for a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies

To claim 30 points for a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, the student must provide:
i. The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies reference number he/she has been assigned by his/her Tier 4 sponsor.
  • This number must be written on the Student’s application form
Documents used to get a General student Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
If the Tier 4 sponsor has assessed the Tier 4 (General) student’s qualifications in order to assign the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, the Tier 4 (General) student must provide these qualifications with their application. For each qualification listed, the Tier 4 (General) student must provide either:

i. The original certificate(s) of qualification; 
Each document must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show the:
-applicant’s name;
-title of the award;
-date of the award; and
-name of the awarding institution.
Original provisional certificates are not acceptable

ii. The original transcript of results
Each document must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show the:

-applicant’s name;
-name of the academic institution;
-course title; and
-confirmation of the award.

The Tier 4 (General) student will need to know what evidence his/her sponsor has included on his/her Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies so he/she can include it with her application. The Tier 4 (General) student must get this information directly from the Tier 4 sponsor before making the application.

3) Where Can I Study?
You must have been accepted to study at a licensed institution listed on the UK Border Agency (UKBA) register of Tier 4 sponsors:
The institution you choose will need to become your “immigration sponsor” and provide you with your CAS.

4)How Much Funds Do I Need to Show?

Length of Course
Place of Study
Maintenance (Funds) Needed
9 months or less
Inner London
Course Fees + £800 for each month of the course
9 months or less
Outer London Or elsewhere in UK
Course Fees + £600 for each month of the course
More than 9 months
Inner London
First year of fees + £7200 to cover the first year in the UK
More than 9 months
Outer London Or elsewhere in UK
First year of fees + £5400 to cover the first year in the UK

Inner London comprises the following boroughs: Camden, City of London, Hackney,Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Lewisham, Newham Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Westminster. If a student wants to check whether the address of his/her main site of study is in inner London, he/she can put his/her Tier 4 sponsor’s postcode in to the ‘About my vote website’ which can be found at(www.aboutmyvote.co.uk).
Note: The exchange rate being used to convert Malaysian Ringgit to the equivalent amount in pounds, is that on the OANDA web site: www.oanda.com/convert/classic

* A General student applying from outside the United Kingdom must show that he/she has held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 1 month before his/her visa application.

5) My dependents will be coming to the UK with me - how much additional funds do I need to show?
Students who are bringing dependents with them to the UK (for example spouse, and children under 18), will need to additionally show £533 per dependent for London, whilst the sum for the rest of the UK is £400 per dependent. Both figures should be applied per month for the duration of their intended stay in the UK up to a maximum of nine months (though of course they can be granted leave to stay for longer than nine months in line with the principal).

Note: Only Postgraduate students on courses of more than 12 months, or Government-sponsored  
students, will able to bring their dependents to the UK
Note: In order for your children (under 18) to join you as a dependent, both parents must be resident in the UK unless you are the sole surviving parent and/or have sole responsibility for the child’s upbringing.

6) What Funds/Financial Documents Are Accepted?

a)Money that can be used

A Tier 4 (General) student can use money held in an account owned by them or by his/her parents. If the Tier 4 (General) student is using funds held by his/her parent he/she will need to show us evidence that he/she is related to his/her parent(s)/legal guardian and that the Tier 4 (General) student has his/her parent(s)/legal guardian’s permission to use this money. The evidence of money held must be of cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts), as a loan letter or official financial or government sponsorship available to the applicant.
Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards and pension funds are not acceptable, regardless of notice period.
If funds are in overseas currency, the official exchange rate on the OANDA website, which can be found at www.oanda.com/convert/classic will be used to convert the currency.

b)Money already paid to the Tier 4 sponsor

If the Tier 4 (General) student can show that he/she has already paid all or some of his/her course fees to his/her Tier 4 sponsor before making his/her application this amount can be taken away from the total amount of money he/she will need to show.

If the Tier 4 (General) student can show that he/she has already paid all or some of his/her accommodation fees to his/her Tier 4 sponsor before making his/her application, this amount also can be taken away from the total amount of money he/she will need to show for living costs. This only applies if the Tier 4 (General) student will be staying in university or college arranged accommodation.

c)Official Financial Sponsorship or Government Sponsor

Financial sponsorship is where a Tier 4 (General) student is given money to cover some or all his/her course fees and/or living costs. This financial sponsorship can be used as evidence of money you have.

A Tier 4 (General) student can receive official financial sponsor from Her Majesty’s Government, the Tier 4 (General) student’s home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or an Independent School.
If the Tier 4 (General) student’s financial sponsor is only covering some of his/her course fees or living costs, he/she must show that he/she has the rest of the money needed.

Note: If a student is currently financially sponsored by a government or an international scholarship agency, or this financial sponsorship ended within 12 months of his/her application being made, the student will need the sponsor’s permissions to stay in or re-enter the UK. The student must provide UKBA with his/her financial sponsor’s unconditional consent in writing. This must confirm that the sponsor has no objection to the student continuing his/her studies in the UK. If the financial sponsor does not give consent, the application will be refused.

Documents Needed to Claim Points for Maintenance(funds)
To claim 10 points for Maintenance (funds) a Tier 4 (General) student must show evidence that he/she:

-has paid all or part of his/her course fees and accommodation fees to his/her Tier 4 sponsor;
-is receiving official financial sponsorship; and/or
-has enough money to cover his/her remaining course fees and living costs, if any.

a)Documents needed to show money already paid to the Tier4 Sponsor

A Tier 4 sponsor can include details of the money the Tier 4 (General) student has already paid to them on his/her Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. If a Tier 4 (General) student’s Tier 4 sponsor has included details of money paid to them on a Tier 4 (General) student’s Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, no further documents are needed to show that this money has been paid. If the Tier 4 (General) student does not know if his/her Tier 4 sponsor has included this information he/she will need to check this with his/her Tier 4 sponsor. Any money for fees and maintenance that are not shown on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies must be shown by the Tier 4 (General) student.

If a Tier 4 (General) student’s Tier 4 sponsor has not included details of the money the Tier 4 (General) student has already paid on the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, the Tier 4 (General) student must send:
An original paper receipt issued by the UK Tier 4 sponsor confirming that the Tier i. 4 (General) student has paid:
-all of his/her fees; or
-the amount that has been paid.

b)Documents needed to show official financial sponsorship or government sponsor

A Tier 4 sponsor can include details of Official Financial Sponsorship that they are giving to the Tier 4 (General) student on his/her Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies. No further documents are needed to show this Official Financial Sponsorship. If the Tier 4 (General) student does not know if his/her Tier 4 sponsor has included this information he/she will need to check this with his/her Tier 4 sponsor.

In all other circumstances a Tier 4 (General) student who is being given Official Financial Sponsorship must provide:

A letter of confirmation from his/her Official Financial Sponsor on official letter-i. headed paper or stationery of the organisation of the official financial sponsor; and have the official stamp of that organisation on it.

-the student’s name;
-the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor;
-the date of the letter;
-the length of the sponsorship; and
-the amount of money the sponsor is giving to the student or a statement that the student’s
official financial sponsor will cover all of his/her fees and living costs.

c)Documents needed to show money available to theTier4 (General) student
A Tier 4 (General) student must show that he/she has held the required money for a consecutive 28 day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than 1 month before his/her application.

The following documents can be used to show money available to the Tier 4 (General) student:
i. Personal bank or building society statements covering a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 1 month before the date of the student’s application:

-the student’s or their parents(s)/legal guardians name; and
-the account number; and
-the date of the statement; and
-the financial institution’s name and logo; and
-the amount of money available.

Ad hoc bank statements printed on the bank’s letterhead are admissible as evidence (this excludes mini-statements from cash points).
If the student wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account these must contain all of the details listed above. In addition, the student will need to provide a supporting letter from his/her bank, on company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided.
Alternatively an electronic bank statement bearing the official stamp of the bank in question will be accepted. This stamp must appear on every page of the statement.
We will not accept statements which show the balance in the account on a particular day as these documents do not show that the applicant holds enough funds for the full period needed.
If a student wants to use a joint account as proof of his/her money, he/she must be named on the account along with one or more other person.

ii. Building society pass book covering a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 1 month before the date of the student’s application.

-the student’s or their parents(s)/legal guardians name; and
-the account number; and
-the financial institution’s name and logo; and
-the amount of money available.

iii. Letter from the student’s bank confirming funds have been held for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 1 month before the date of the application.

-the student’s or their parents(s)/legal guardians name; and
-the account number; and
-the date of the letter; and
-the financial institution’s name and logo; and
-the money in the student’s account; and
-that there is enough money in the account (to cover your course fees and living costs).

iv. Letter from a financial institution regulated by either the Financial Services Authority or, in the case of overseas accounts, the home regulator (official regulatory body for the country the institution is in and where the money is held) confirming funds have been held for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than one month before the date of the application.

-the student’s or their parents(s)/legal guardians name; and
-the account number; and
-the date of the letter; and
-the financial institution’s name and logo; and the money in the student’s account.

v. Letter from a financial institution regulated by either the Financial Services Authority or, in the case of overseas accounts, the home regulator (official regulatory body for the country the institution is in and where the money is held) confirming the loan.  
The loan letter must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of the application. The student’s letter from the financial institution regulated by the Financial Services Authority or home regulator must show:
-the student’s name; and
-the date of the letter; and
-the financial institution’s name and logo;
-the money (or funds) available as a loan; and
Loans held in a parents(s)/legal guardians name cannot be used as evidence of money held by the student.
For students applying from overseas, the loan funds must be available to the student before he/she travels to the UK, unless that loan will be an academic/student loan from his/her country’s national government and the loan will be released to the student by his/her national government or via his/her Tier 4 sponsor on arrival in the UK.
There must be no conditions placed upon the release of the loan funds to the student, other than the student making a successful Tier 4 application.

A Tier4 (General) student using money held by his/her parents

If a Tier 4 (General) student is relying on money held by his/her parents(s)/legal guardian, he/she must show that he/she is related to his/her parent(s)/legal guardian. Tier 4 (General) students must provide one of:
i. the student’s birth certificate showing names of his/her parent(s);
ii. the student’s certificate of adoption showing names of both parent(s) or legal guardian;
iii. a Court document naming the legal guardian of the student.

The document use must be the original legal document or a notarised copy.
If a Tier 4 (General) student is relying on money held by his/her parents(s)/legal guardian, he/she must also show that his/her parent(s)/legal guardian has given their permission for the Tier 4 (General) student to use this money. The Tier 4 (General) students must provide:
i. a letter from his/her parent(s) or legal guardian.
-the relationship between the student and his/her parent(s) or legal guardian; and
-that the parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to the student using their funds to study in the UK.

Parental Consent(Tier4 (General) students under 16 and17 years old students only)

Letter of parental consent
A 16 and 17 year old Tier 4 (General) student has the legal right to live independently in the UK, and so may make their own arrangements for accommodation. However he/she requires the consent of his/her parent(s)/legal guardian to do this and to travel to the UK (if they applying from overseas).

Tier 4 (General) students who are 16 or 17 years old and living independently must provide:
i. A letter from their parent(s) or legal guardian, confirming:
-the relationship between the parent(s) or legal guardian and the child;

-that the parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to the application;
-that the parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to the child student living independently in the UK;
-that the parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to the child student’s independent travel to the UK.
The letter must confirm if the parent(s) or legal guardian has legal custody or sole responsibility for the child. If they have sole custody they must sign the letter. If they do not, the letter must confirm that each parent or legal guardian agrees to the contents of the letter and must be signed by each parent or legal guardian.

7) What is ATAS?

ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) is designed to ensure that people who are applying to study certain sensitive subjects in the UK do not have links to weapons of mass destruction (WMD) programmes.

Students applying for some postgraduate courses and research programmes in the UK may need to apply for an ATAS certificate, before they apply for a visa.
Students intending to pursue an undergraduate course in the UK, do not need to obtain an ATAS certificate.

Note for those doing an MEng undergraduate programme:
If you are doing a MEng that begins in the UK, you do not need an ATAS certificate regardless of the JACS code.
However if you are joining a MEng programme part-way through and have done the rest of your studies outside the UK, then you may need an ATAS certificate. Your CAS from the university should indicate whether you need an ATAS certificate and you need to also check to see if your JACS code is one of the ones on the Taught Masters list.

Further information on ATAS is available at:

If you are applying to study for a course which required an ATAS certificate, you must provide a print-out of the ATAS clearance certificate. If this is not provided, your application will be refused.
A student will need to apply for a new ATAS if:
• he/she changes his/her course, or
• the area of research/modules change for the course he/she originally applied to, or
• he/she moves to another institution, or
• his/her Visa was issued on or after 30 November 2007, and he/she needs further permission to stay for writing up a thesis.

8) Where Do I Apply for a UK Visa?

VFS Global
Suite 19.06 19th Floor,
Wisma MCA, 163 Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: (03) 21649323

9) How Do I Apply for a UK Visa?

a) Please refer to www.vfs-uk-my.com, for latest information on applying
b) You first need to make an On-Line Visa application:
  • Please ensure you choose the correct visa application type when selecting the category i.e.
- Purpose of Application: PBS Tier 4 student
- Type of Application: chose correct category amongst the following:
- Tier 4 (General Student)
(note: to be chosen by privately funded students)
- Tier 4 (General) Dependant Partner
- Tier 4 (General) Dependant Child
- Tier 4 (General) (Sponsored) Student
(note: to be chosen by government sponsored students, ,university sponsored students, etc)
- Tier 4 (Child) Student
- Tier 4 (Child) (Sponsored) Student

If you have chosen the wrong category, you should submit another application and you will be sent a new reference number, to the email address you gave as part of the application security process.
This On-Line Visa application Form needs to be printed out and signed.
c) For student visa applications, other form that needs to be completed is the Self-Assessment form (also referred to as Appendix 8)- this form is not required for dependents
d)Please refer to the UKBA Checklist for supporting documents, to determine the supporting documents that need to be included with your application.
e) All these forms need to be brought to the Visa Application Centre, in person, together with supporting document for processing.
f) You are encouraged to make an appointment on-line before visiting the Visa Application

10)What Documents Need To Be Enclosed with a Student Visa Application?

  • Please refer to UKBA Checklist for supporting documents, for the latest information on documents that need to be submitted
  • All the documents enclosed with the application must be original and genuine. You must also provide a photocopy of all documents
  • Documents that are not in English need to be translated. You may wish to contact the following organisations for these services:
-Malaysian National Institute of Translation, http://www.itnm.com.my/; Tel: 03-41432990
-Malaysian Translators Association (c/o Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka): Tel: 03-21424381, 21442506
-Should you need to submit your birth certificate, an English language version of this can be obtained from the National Registration Department (Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara) branch offices: http://www.jpn.gov.my/
  • Examples of Documents that need to be submitted include the following:
a) Signed on-line application form (VAF9 PBS)
b) Signed Appendix 8 self assessment form (not required for dependents)
c) Current passport with at least one double sided page free for the visa vignette and any old passports
d) Visa Fees
e) One recent coloured and unframed passport size photo- please refer to UKBA guidelines with regard photo guidance/specification
f) Original documents of relevant certificates, qualifications or other evidence mentioned by your sponsor in CAS
g) Current Malaysian Immigration Status (for non-Malaysians)
h) Consent letter for 16 and 17 year olds signed by both parents
i) Evidence of any outstanding course and accommodation fees and required maintenance funds as specified in the points based system policy guidance
j) If applicable, a letter from your official sponsor stating the duration and the amount of the award
k) For dependents:
- evidence of relationship to sponsor (e.g. marriage certificate, civil partnership registration or birth certificate- if these are in a language other than English, these need to be translated into English)
- financial evidence showing evidence that the principal applicant can support the dependents
- a copy of the pages from the principal applicant’s passport/travel document showing permission to stay, if principal applicant is already in the UK.
l) Itemised list which all the applicant and dependents should prepare, indicating all supporting documents that have been included with the visa application

11) How Much Is the Visa Fees and How Do I Pay The Fees?

Further Information on Amount and Modes of Payment May be Obtained From:

Please note that the Visa Fees is Subject To Change
  • Channels of payment:
  1. By cash across all Alliance Bank Counters (not through the cash/cheque deposit machines)
  2. By cashier's order/ banker's draft issued from any bank and can be submitted at the VFS UK visa application centre and payable to "VFS (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd." payable in Kuala Lumpur only.
  3. By online fund transfer if you have an Alliance Bank savings or current account with personal internet banking access (alliance online PERSONAL) to Payee Corporation: VFS (M) S/B FOR UK VISA FEE, Account number: 14185-0-01-001313-7,
Please note: Options 1 to 3 are surcharge free. Applicants using options 1 and 3 must wait until the next working day after making their payment before submitting their visa application and supporting documents at the VFS visa application centre. For option 2 applicants can purchase a cashier's order/banker's draft from any bank and submit their visa application the same day at the VFS UK visa application centre, during opening hours.
Applicants outside Kuala Lumpur:
If you are staying outside Kuala Lumpur, the bank drafts which you purchase must be payable in Kuala Lumpur. Banks will charge a fee for the purchase of cashier's orders/banker's drafts. This fee must be paid by the applicant.

12) How long will it take for my visa to be processed?
A guide to Visa Processing Times is Available at: http://www.vfsukmy.com/processingtimescustomers.pdf 
Currently, processing times range from 5 to 15 days.

13) What are the consequences of providing false or forged documents/information?

If a student provides false or fraudulent documents with the student visa application, lies or withholds information, s/he will be refused and may be banned from making further applications for up to 10 years

Important: Always declare any previous visa/entry clearance refusals, in your visa application. Failure to do so may mean that you are deemed to have provided false information and hence refused and may be banned from making further applications for up to 10 years.

14) What biometric data do I have to provide?
All UK visa applicants (with the exception of Right of Abode Applications and Children below 5 years) are required to submit their applications in person at the UK Visa Application Centre where they will have their fingers scanned and a digital photograph taken. Applications cannot be processed if an applicant refuses, or cannot provide, acceptable biometric data.

source: MABECS Sdn Bhd - 4th July 2011